Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Life's dance

It's so great to be able to sit back and look at life on occasion. To just stop and take a moment or even a few hours to just watch life happening around you. So much can be seen and it's kind of like a dance.

Last Sunday, like every Sunday Heather and I headed to Olympic Park. Saturday night we had decided that we couldn't go to the park this week because it was supposed to be rainy and gross out. When we woke up Sunday morning though, it was the most beautiful day we have probably seen in Korea yet. The downpour of rain on Saturday night must have cleared everything up. It was incredible, everything was so clear and sharp, there were puffy white clouds in the blue sky and you could make out every detail on the tree covered mountains surrounding our part of Seoul. So of course off we headed to Olympic Park! We brought our blanket, books and snacks and found the perfect shady spot under a tree out-looking one of the big recreation fields in the park. It was there that I was able to sit and watch the wonderful dance of life happen all around me. So many things were going on. Children played, dogs were walked, lovers basked in the ecstasy of spending time together, families were picnicking, babies were being oogled by young mothers, bikes were ridden, kites were flown, ice-cream was eaten, father and child played soccer, friends gossiped and giggled, birds chirped, clouds passed, breezes blew, and everything was in rhythm. It was beautiful, far too beautiful for me to be able to describe any more than I already have. And that, I realized, is life's dance.

Other than watching the dance of life, I was able to spend some glorious hours reading and chatting with Heather. We were sprawled out on the blanket enjoying the afternoon to the fullest. We talked about life, faith, school, living in Korea, hopes and dreams, and ideas. It was the most perfect afternoon that I have had in a while. I am so grateful for the rain that makes things new and fresh again.

Saturday Night
Sunday was great and relaxing, but Saturday night is a whole other story. It all begins with my Korean friend Do Yeon. He called me up and said that he had VIP tickets to a very well known exclusive club in the part of Seoul that is called the Hollywood of Korea. Do Yeon used to be a model, so he has quite a few connections with the high-life of Seoul. (How I make friends with these kinds of people, I have no idea...) So I tell Do Yeon that I'm interested, but I had plans to hang out with a few other friends. At that he said no worries, I'll try to find tickets for them too. So he found tickets for me and my four friends. 

We began the night meeting at Do Yeon's friend's bar. There I met up with my friends, Do Yeon, his sister, and a few of his Korean friends, one of which is an up and coming Korean movie star. (haha?!?!) So we got some drinks, met everyone and socialized before hitting up Club Circle. Finally we headed to the club. 

While I thought that everyone in our group was dressed pretty nice and looked good, I was in for a shocker at the club. Never in one place have I seen so many incredibly beautiful people. I couldn't stop staring! Not only were there beautiful Koreans, but there were beautiful foreigners from all over the world. Once I got over the shock of all the amazing looking people I was able to get into the scene. There was a stage with a DJ pumping away some awesome house/techno'ish tunes, a dance floor, and a circle bar surrounded by tables and couches that were littered with beautiful people and lots of liquor. 

After I got a drink I wandered over to the dance floor and danced for a good long time. I finally realized that I should probably find the group that I came with so I headed back towards the bar. On my way, a group of good looking Japanese people asked me to join them at their table in celebration for one of their birthdays. So I did for a while, had some fun, and then continued on to find my group. When I found them, the group had grown. They were at a table with some couches and tons more Korean's had become a part of the group by this point. So I jumped right in with meeting people, socializing and dancing. It was one of the best times that I've had in Korea so far...and come the end of the night I realized that a lot of the people I was socializing with were Korean celebrities and bar owners, hahaha! Crazy Korea.

We have this saying called T-I-K...kind of like 'when in Rome' but for Korea. It means This Is Korea and while we're here we're going to do it all and experience it all. :)

No comments: