Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good News!


Yay, good news with school finally. So regarding pension and health insurance I emailed the recruiter that Heather and I came through and explained everything to him. I told him that our school was not honoring our contract and that I didn't know what to do. I told him maybe he should just help us find a better school. At that, he contacted the director of our school and talked some sense into him. I don't know what he said, or how he said it but it worked. We now have pension and health insurance. We are waiting for our health insurance cards to come in the mail and we won't know for sure about pension until our next pay day in about two weeks, but at least we feel better about the whole situation. Now we can stop stressing and stop looking into other schools. This whole situation has given us a good idea though of the other schools that are out there. Now when it comes to the end of our contract we'll know which types of schools to apply to next and in which areas of the city. Anyway, it's an amazing relief to have this worked out.

On another note, yesterday Heather and I booked our tickets to Jeju Island!! We have a week long summer break in the end of July so we figured it was time to take a trip. Originally we were planning on going to Mongolia, staying in a yert, and riding some camels...but alas, we opted for the cheaper route since we'll probably go to Thailand or Cambodia for Christmas. So Jeju Island it is! Jeju is called the 'Hawaii' of South Korea and is located off the tip of Korea. There are plenty of beaches, mountains, waterfalls and hiking so it should be a great vacation. I can't wait! :)

This last Sunday Heather, me and a bunch of other English teachers went to the North Korea vs. South Korea soccer game at world cup stadium. The soccer games there are always packed out and tons of fun. The fans dress up and go crazy. Everyone drinks beer and eats an array of food. The 'wave' is done by the crowd and is by far more amazing than any 'crowd wave' I have ever seen. We were really excited about this game though because it was against North Korea. We expected it to be an insane game. So here I am sitting high up in the bleachers squished between two New Zealand guys. It was pretty crazy because these guys were really into their cheering, their beer, and going crazy. Just the fun attitudes of these New Zealand friends of mine made the game worth while. In the end, neither of the teams ended up scoring and it wasn't that great of a game. We had a theory that North Korea and South Korea made a deal before playing the game. The deal being: no scoring, no nukes. Sounds pretty good to me. No matter what happens in the games we see there though, I always have a good time. :)

So the teaching life continues in sunny Songpa, South Korea. I am really quite content here. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! I want to be over there with you!! I'll have to hit you up on some 411 later to see if I can get over there in a few years!! good luck on your trip, enjoy hiking!

Erika