Tuesday, June 3, 2008

what wrong with me??

I just can't seem to get better. At first I thought I had the flu, then I thought the flu had turned into a cold where I lost my voice, then the cold turned into a horrifying cough that keeps me up all night long, I've had a temperature everyday, and now my eyes have turned red and glassy. (these are all the symptoms of bird flu by the way.)

It's been a week since all of this has started so I decided it was finally time to go to the doctor. Since my school has not yet gotten me health insurance, my director took me to the doctor so that he could pay for it. (thank goodness! Now for sure he'll get me health insurance.) So we went  to the doctor, I sat in a large dentist like chair, he asked me some questions in broken English, poked around in my mouth and ears, looked in my eyes with a very confused look on his face and finally said, it's probably just a cold. He wrote me a prescription and then set me in front of this tube and told me to breathe for few minutes. I put my mouth over the tube and breathed the steam for a few minutes, blew my nose and we were finished. It was an interesting experience. My director then went to pick up my prescription. Later I got my prescription. It ended up being ear drops?? and morning, afternoon, and evening pill packs of about five pills each for three days. I was expecting maybe one pill. Nope! It's a whole pill regimen that I have to follow, but only for three days. So far it has helped my runny nose but nothing else. My cough is still keeping me up at night, I still have a low fever, and my eyes are still a horrifying glassy red. I seriously don't know what's wrong with my eyes. At first I thought pink eye, but my eyes don't itch and ooze stuff. Then I thought allergies, but once again they don't itch. So who knows whats up with my eyes. I don't think the doctor even knows because he didn't prescribe me any sort of eye drops. I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. My eyes have started freaking my students out though. It's kind of humorous because now they keep their distance from me instead of hang all over me. I'm pretty sure they think I have a disease. ...I still think it's the bird flu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope you don't have the bird flu miss ellesapelle

Anonymous said...

I hope you get better! and I really hope its not bird flu

it's a pretty serious problem here and isn't taken lightly. Our neighbor became bankrupt when his chickens got it because the chicken company immediately stops their contract with you, the birds you have are killed, and then you have to clear out the entire house and disinfect it to the extreme and then maybe, maybe the same company or someone else will give you a contract, but typically they won't if you get the flu once, because it can be spread through the air and there is no cure for the chickens once they get it.

sadly other countries don't have the regulations we do so it's a lot harder to stop and a lot easier to come in contact with it compared to america.

)p.s.: I love the blog you are keeping, keep it up!)

~Erika