Thursday, July 24, 2008

Umbrella Culture

I know I have talked about weather a lot lately, but the weather here truly seems to be more extreme than in the US. So I find that weather is the center of my life these days...other than teaching, playing on playgrounds and learning the occasional Korean word.

With all of the rain that we're having (because it is rainy season afterall) umbrellas are kind of a big deal around here. They are sold on every corner and they are all the same black/blue and silver style. Except for the old ladies and a few others who have flowered umbrellas. The thing is though, there are so many people in Korea. I have never been in such a crowded place in my whole life! I have problems walking down the street with just myself, let alone an umbrella too. Walking down the street in the pouring rain with an umbrella while everyone else also has an umbrella is challenging to say the least. People are so close to each other that the umbrellas are always bumping and eyes are almost being poked out by the pointy ends of the umbrellas. Koreans also put up their umbrellas if is barely sprinkling out and then leave them up way after the rain has stopped.

Because it rains a lot and there are so many umbrellas there seems to be an unwritten rule stating that if you leave your umbrella unattended it's up for grabs. I have already gone through a few umbrellas because of that 'rule'. It's okay though, because I have also accumulated a few umbrellas through that rule as well, haha! Last weekend I was with a Korean friend of mine and it started pouring rain. We were on our way out so she said wait here for a second. When she came back she had an umbrella for me and when I asked her where she got it she said, 'oh I just took it from the umbrella basket." haha, so I guess thats just how it is. When in need, grab an umbrella indeed.

2 comments:

Blastin said...

That rhyme was a stretch there.

Me, I hate umbrellas. I just wear my hoodie and iron it when it's too wet.

Greg Williamson said...

koreans are afraid of the rain. they think it will make their hair fall out.