Saturday, July 19, 2008

monsoon...typhoon...heavy rain

Whether (haha or weather) it's called a monsoon, a typhoon or just heavy rain, it's all the same thing. It comes down in buckets, it pours like it's never poured before.

On Friday afternoon the clouds rolled in and Seoul had a darkened foreboding look to it. All the teachers and students at school were talking about the big typhoon coming in. It was quite the buzz around school, especially when you say typhoon and not just rain. So I was very curious about this typhoon and figured that it was just a bunch of hype as most weather forecasts usually are. I was very wrong though.

Early Saturday morning I checked outside and sure enough it was pouring down rain. It rained hard all morning so Heather and I stayed inside, listened to music and watched movies. Finally around 4pm we decided to meet some friends for coffee, so we ventured out into the rain.  After getting somewhat wet through our umbrellas, we met up with friends and the rain stopped. It actually cleared up and we could see blue sky and sun. To myself I thought, sure...a typhoon, whatever. So It stayed clear all evening and then once 11pm hit the rain came pouring again. This time unfortunately I didn't have an umbrella and I was stranded outside a bar waiting for friends. When my friends came there were three of us to one tiny umbrella and it didn't end up very well. Lets just say that at least when we got to the next bar we weren't the only wet ones. Everyone was soaking from the rain!

It rained hard all Saturday night and carried into Sunday morning. At 8am this morning it was raining harder than I've ever seen it rain in my whole life. So of course I had to go play in it. I went out in the rain, ran around, splashed in the puddles and had the time of my life. I visited some of the neighborhood playgrounds which in the rain had turned into water parks and I played like a kid again. The Koreans would drive by on their way to Church and slow down when they saw me. They stared like they had never seen a white woman dancing in the rain before...well I guess maybe they really haven't. Anyway, it was the most fun I have had in a long time and now I can't wait for the next typhoon to come so I can do it again! :)

2 comments:

Blastin said...

Nothing much to tease you about here... damn.

Jess said...

How far ahead of us are you? It's funny to be reading your blog at 8:20 in the morning and see "At 8 am this morning..." when it's obviously not morning for you anymore. Oh, time change.