Sunday, May 25, 2008

warming weather

The weather is really warming up here and I feel that if this is a preview for the summer, then we're in for a hot one!

Saturday was beautiful and about 80 degrees, with high humidity and a light breeze. Heather and I headed out to see what treasures we could find at an expat garage sale near the center of Seoul. After riding the subway for about 45 minutes and observing all the different Korean people getting on and getting off...as well as being stared at by plenty of people, we arrived. We had no idea where the garage sale was going to be so we were depending on the posted signs. After following a few of the signs there weren't anymore signs. We had no idea where to go. So we backtracked and found a hidden sign leading up a narrow street. Finally we found the garage sale. The sale was at a school and turned out not to be very good. It was fun to find it though, like a treasure hunt!

Since we were already in the center or Seoul we decided to check out this flea market called Dongdaemun. It's said to be very interesting so we were pretty excited. When we got off the subway there really wasn't much that looked like a flea market. The neighborhood was somewhat run down and industrial looking. By this time we were really hot and in need of ice-cream. So we went out of our way to find a little store to buy melon pops. Mmmm, that made my day. After we got back on track we rounded a corner and there was the flea market in all it's glory! It was a huge two story structure with a roof, but not really walls. As we got closer we were able to see all the treasures. It looked like people took all the odds and ends that they could find around their house and decided to sell them. It was so interesting to look through the stuff. I guess the saying 'one man's trash, another man's treasure' is very true. Heather and I walked around for probably two hours looking with curiosity at everything. I was able to buy a small, light tripod for 10,000 won which is about $10 American. I could have bought plenty of other things, but it all required bartering and I don't quite have my Korean numbers down so it was a bit of a draining process. Now I'm going to make sure I learn my numbers so that I can go back and really barter up a storm. :)

Today, Sunday was also a very nice day. Warm, about 80 and less humidity, yay! Heather and I decided to spend the day in Olympic park relaxing, reading on our blanket, basking in the sun, enjoying the breeze, and korean-people watching. It was the most relaxing Sunday I've had yet.

Tomorrow it's back to the loud, wild kids and disorganized chaos of school.

No comments: