Thursday, May 22, 2008

Oddities of Korea

Here are some interesting/funny/different things that I have noticed upon coming to South Korea.

Korean's don't j-walk. They will stand and wait for the walk sign to flash green even if there are no cars coming. Speaking of green walking signs...even if a light turns red for cars they don't stop. So crossing the street is a daily life and death situation. I've lost track the of the number of times I've almost been hit by a car or bus. 

Cars here are mostly black, white or grey so that if/when they run into each other there won't be huge streaks of color resulting from the scrape or hit. People also put these funny little foam things on the side of their car to keep other cars from scraping them.

When going to a bar or restaurant you can usually find a doorbell'ish looking button on your table. Thats because it is a doorbell. Haha, you ring it when you need the waitress and she comes right away. How convenient! You also don't have to tip here.

When eating out you are given a large spoon and chopsticks. They are each used for different things. What I can never figure out is which food you use which for. I will be eating my rice with chopsticks, then look around and see everyone else using their spoons. Or I will eat my soup with the spoon, look around and see everyone else sipping their soup straight out of the bowl... It is also polite to slurp, chomp and eat loudly. It means you are enjoying the food. Speaking of chopsticks, I am now a master. (almost) I can pick up a single soybean with my shopsticks! :)

When putting trash out you have to use special 'city certified' trash bags. Heather and I didn't realize this until lately. Apparently you can get in huge trouble if you don't use the 'city certified' trash bags. Luckily we haven't been caught, but now we will try to find out where to buy these special trash bags.

People here don't sweat. I will be out walking around on an 80 degree day with capris and a tank top on and all the Korean women will be wearing jeans and long sleeved shirts. Just looking at them makes me hot and sweaty, but they don't even break a sweat.

A lot of women wear heels for hiking. In fact they wear heels everywhere!

Spitting is normal. Everyday I'll be walking to school or somewhere and I'll hear someone behind me hocking a huge wad of spit and then spit it on the side of the road. I was really grossed out at first, but now I'm used to it.

All the dirty work is done by little old ladies. All the janitors, cleaning people and such are little old ladies. I don't know if they enjoy the work, or if it's the only work they can get, but they are the only ones doing it. They clean floors and bathrooms with only a rag. Often I'll see a little old lady on her hands and knees washing the floor with a rag.

When we reach a transfer point on the subway they will play classical music to alert you of the transfer. How classy, I love it!

Broom handles don't get higher than the waist. If you want to sweep something up, you have to bend over to do it.

Parking garages often have car elevators.

The word for white people here actually means 'beautiful'. Heather and I were walking into a subway station the other day and were confronted by a group of teenage girls. They kept saying 'ohhh so beautiful, beautiful!' Then they wanted to take our pictures. We get this a lot.

No comments: