Sunday, April 20, 2008

week sum up

Arrg, everytime I go to post a new blog the blogger site opens in full Korean characters and I have to re-figure out how to set it to English. This is frustrating, but I should be used to it by now. Maybe one of these days I will just type my blog in Korean characters instead of English, haha.

This last week was pretty good. It was test week at school so I had to figure out how that was going to work. Our school is very chaotic and unorganized so I think it's kind of a miracle that test week went over well. The majority of my students did really well and cooperated with me. I did have that occasional student though that just refused to do anything. It was frustrating for me to deal with these students, but in the end I was able to get a little out of them. This next week should be a normal week so that will be nice. A few of my classes have just finished their workbooks though, so until next month we will be reviewing. Review is interesting because I have to come up with stuff on my own to do with them. We'll see how creative I get.

On a different note, Heather and I are learning the quirks of our apartment. The other night we woke up to a very loud beeping noise. We were so disoriented that by the time we were up and had put the lights on the beeping stopped and we couldn't figure out what it was. After some investigating we learned that it was the little thing on our wall that sets our heat and hot water. It was flashing E1, which we took as error. The next day we talked to the people at our school and they said that it means we have to drain the water out of our pipes before it will work again. So we found the knob to drain the water in our laundry room, drained a ton of water onto the floor and the thing on the wall started to work again. Now we have hot water, yay! Apparently this is a normal thing though. We were told that we would probably have to do that once a  week!?! Okay, interesting. We have also figured out how to use our washing machine which is a good thing, but it makes some of the strangest noises. I think it has about 10 random noises and beeps that it goes through.

The weather is warming up and the trees have started to turn green. Ahhh spring! Today we decided to take a Sunday outing to a park in the middle of Seoul with a huge tower and a great look out. On the way an old man sat next to me on the subway. After some time he fell asleep. Then he started leaning in my direction. Finally he slumped over and put his head on my shoulder. He seemed to be sleeping quite contently so I decided not to say or do anything. The Korean ladies sitting across from me were having quite the time though. They kept pointing and whispering to each other. I was trying so hard not to laugh, but eventually I just let it all out. The man kept sleeping though despite my laughing and shaking shoulders. The ladies were so bothered by this man sleeping on me that finally one of them got up and shook the man awake. She scolded him in Korean and made him go sit somewhere else. The whole thing was pretty funny.

No comments: