Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Arrival in Seoul

After 30 days of planning and visa applying, 2 days of packing, 3 days of waiting in DC, 3 hours of waiting in the airport and a 14.5 hour plane ride I am finally in Seoul, Korea.

The flight went very well. Heather and I left DC at about 2pm and arrived outside of Seoul at about 4:30pm (Korea time) So the whole time difference is about 13 hours, wow! I only slept 1 hour on the plane so by the time we got to Korea I was feeling a bit out of body. From the airport we took a bus into the center of Seoul and met the director of our school there. From there he drove us straight to our apartment and left us for the night.

Our apartment building is about 5 stories high and for the next three weeks we will reside on the second floor in a one room apartment. It is quite cute actually. We each have a bed, there is a little refrigerator, a desk, a tv that doesn't work, a sink and some cabinets, a bathroom and a closet type of place with a washing machine in it. It's kind of like living in a hotel room, but it's home for now. After three weeks we will move down to the first floor where we will have a slightly larger apartment. That apartment is being occupied by some other teachers until the end of their contract.

Last night after boiling a few pots of water Heather and I went to bed around 8pm. We woke up at 7am, unpacked most of our stuff and set out to explore the neighborhood. We found a small grocery store and decided to buy some needed items. After looking at the pictures on different items, trying to read Korean, and trying to make out what they were we bought our things and walked back home. Later this afternoon our director is going to show us around some more.

I am not feeling jet lagged or culture shocked at all right now, but we'll see how I feel in a few days. I am thankful to Heather being here because I think life will be much easier living with a friend who speaks my language. So far all the Korean people I have met though have been very friendly and willing to communicate in one way or another. I have only been here for a day, but I know a great adventure and new life is here waiting for me. :) I am thrilled to be living in Korea!

No comments: