Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April feels like spring!

Ahh April! I am much happier these days. :) Not that I have been extremely unhappy, but changes at school were stressing me out and I guess cold dreary days of winter don't always make me feel like the peppiest person. Now that it's April though I officially have two months left in Korea. Spring is also here, yay! The cherry blossoms and other flowers/sprouts have begun to make an appearance. I guess this time of year always feels fresh and new. Seriously like a breath of fresh air...which is somewhat hard to come by in Seoul.

Last April I was boarding a plane to come to Korea. I think it was April 7th to be exact. I had no idea what was in store for me. I was scared, nervous, excited, anxious...I probably felt a little bit of everything. Moving your life to the other side of the world is a big thing. Luckily for me, it never hit all at once just how big of a thing that it is. In life I tend to have sudden passionate ideas and then I just go for it. I don't think about it, I just do it. Some may think this is irrational, but I would never have had these great experiences unless I'd have been the spontaneous person that I am. Korea was one of those spontaneous things, and I have proved to myself once again that it was worth it.

I have had my ups and downs living as a foreigner in Korea, but it was all worth it. I don't think you can ever have a perfect experience. In fact, no experience is even worth it without the pitfalls. Those pitfalls just show us that the better times are a great gift to be remembered and treasured. Plus, when you look back on the past you only ever seem to remember the good times anyway...or at least I do. :)

So now that I've looked on the past, I'll come back to the present. (Somewhere I need to constantly remind myself to be.) Things in all areas of life are going well these days. I just moved into a new apartment in Jamsil and love it. It's just one big room with a kitchen at one end and my bed at the other, but really it's all the space that I need. I am now close to lots of coffee shops, my school and a lake with a great walking path around it. Now that it's warming up I'm hoping to spend my evenings walking around the lake.

School is going much better these days as well. My crying kindergarten class has stopped crying. I can now look at them and think that they are darling little children...instead of blubbering babies that I don't want in my classroom. :) It's a relief really. I feel like class time is now somewhat productive. We are working on colors, shapes, numbers and the ABC's, wow! I am amazed every day at how their minds are like sponges. They are such smart little kids. A month ago I couldn't wait to get out of my hour and half class everyday. Now though, I am sad to leave these kiddos. Some are so cute that I could just pocket them and take em home! It's funny to think about the impact little kids have on you. I think they are like pets. It's been proven that people who own pets live longer and have healthier lives. Maybe it's the same for teachers and people with children. Yes, I will admit that they take a lot of work and can piss me off and stress me out at times, but overall they make me happy. :) I truly believe that in coming to Korea to be an English teacher I have found my calling in life. I am to be a teacher, and a darn good one at that!

...although, side note: I'd prefer to teach highschool.

Among other things, the missile testing for North Korea should happen sometime next week. Either we'll get nuked and you won't hear from me, or it'll all just be another one of North Korea's empty threats. I am very curious to see what will happen.

No comments: