Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summertime Heat

It's Sunday and I've been in Heather's and my air-conditioned apartment all morning. I leave the apartment to go buy water at the little store up the street. On the way, I observe many things that make me smile and realize that it's 'summatime and the livin is easy'. :)

It's hot outside, maybe 90 degrees with 70% humidity. I can feel not only the sun beating down on me, but the heat rising up from the blacktop of the street. It rained last night, so everything is clear today. The green trees on the mountains can be seen and the sky is clear blue dotted with fluffy white clouds. The cicadas sing loudly, then softly, and then loudly again. I pass a group of dressed up Koreans coming from Church. They are wearing their heels and their frilly dresses and pressed suits. They talk, smile, laugh. I wonder how they can withstand the heat with so many clothes on. Three boys whiz past me on their bikes. They are yelling to each other in Korean and laughing. The wind blows through their hair and I remember what it's like to be a kid on a bike riding through the Sunday afternoon. The sun beats down on my face and sweat gathers around my sunglasses. I lift them to wipe away the sweat and realize just how bright the day day is. Everything is so clear and the colors are vivid. I'm thankful for the rain that washes away pollution. I keep walking and come upon an old man. He is standing in the shade with his small, white, fluff ball of a dog. As I get closer I can see that he's bending over and talking to his dog. He's talking very gently with a kind look in his eye. It makes me smile. As I get closer to the store I hear faint sounds of techno music. I can see the brightly colored umbrellas shading the outside of the store. I walk under them and smell the sweet peaches that are displayed. I buy my large bottle of water and stop a second to enjoy the pumping Korean techno music that the store is playing. Then I walk home with the bottle of water against the back of my neck to keep me cool. I let the sun grace my face, enjoy the sounds of the cicadas and smile at everyone I pass.

It's summer time in Seoul and the livin is easy. :) Life is Wonderful!

No comments: